Condoms were created away from fine plastic and produce a barrier to avoid sperm and infection from moving between people while having sex. They may be employed for vaginal sex, anal intercourse and dental intercourse.
Condoms are necessary for steering clear of the spread of STIs. They could dramatically lessen your danger of disease, despite the fact that they cannot provide 100% security against all infections that are sexually transmitted.
And keep in mind: there is more to sex than intercourse! There are several methods to enjoy real intimacy along with your partner with out dental, genital or rectal intercourse. Safer intercourse also incorporates plenty of alternative activities like kissing, cuddling, rubbing, therapeutic therapeutic massage, stroking or masturbation. When you have genital, anal or oral intercourse, it certainly will pay to relax and play it safe!
Must I always utilize a condom?
Make use of condom each time you have actually genital or rectal intercourse to minimise the possibility of getting or moving on STIs. Give consideration to condoms that are using dental intercourse, particularly if you have a lot of intimate lovers. Even though you avoid using a condom every time, and for all sorts of intercourse, usage one as often as possible—this is safer than generally not very. For those who have sporadically perhaps not utilized a condom that doesn’t suggest it isn’t well worth employing a condom everytime in the future.
Do condoms work?
In preventing STIs
Bacteria, or a virus such as for example HIV, cannot go through unbroken rubber! Therefore if utilized precisely, condoms will avoid the spread of a virus such as for instance HIV. Condoms additionally lessen your potential for getting chlamydia and gonorrhoea. Keep in mind, some STIs may be sent by connection with areas that can’t be included in a condom, therefore employing a condom cannot guarantee which you will perhaps perhaps perhaps not get an STI.
In preventing maternity
Condoms help reduce your potential for having a baby. Research has revealed that when 100 ladies utilized condoms whenever they had intercourse for just one year, just two of those ladies would have a baby.
Which are the dangers of condoms?
The maximum chance of making use of condoms is if they have been damaged by that they will not work properly
- temperature from residing in your pocket for days;
- tearing available the packet and piercing the condom during the time that is same
- having passed the expiry date.
One other risk is it is really not utilized correctly, for instance:
- perhaps perhaps not wear quickly enough;
- perhaps perhaps not found in combination by having a lubricant to prevent tearing;
- perhaps maybe not held on during withdrawal.
Practice placing condoms on a banana in private with your partner if you are embarrassed, so you know what you’re doing and feel confident using them.
Additionally, keep in mind! It may not work properly if you are being treated for thrush with antifungal treatment (such as Canesten), this can damage the rubber of a condom and.
If a tear is discovered by you in your condom after intercourse:
- Visit a grouped family preparing hospital when it comes to “morning after” pill within 72 hours, if you should be worried about maternity, or
- go to a intimate wellness hospital if you’re concerned with STIs for advice from a medical expert.
Condom tips for teens
Where can teens get condoms?
The cheapest method to have condoms is on prescription from your doctor or Family preparing hospital — see below to get your nearest Family preparation clinic. You may buy them from intimate wellness clinics and youth wellness clinics. They may be purchased at supermarkets, pharmacies, dairies, bars, groups and toilets that are public. They’re everywhere!
Ending HIV encourages remaining safe by utilizing condoms while offering a mixture of tools to homosexual and bi guys to avoid HIV transmissions. Dudes (cis or trans) that have intercourse with dudes can purchase condoms 100% free from their web web site and they’ll be mailed in unmarked envelopes.
Simply how much do condoms price?
The way that is cheapest to obtain condoms is from your own Family Planning hospital, intimate wellness hospital or youth wellness hospital, or on prescription from your own GP. Anyone under 22 years will get a prescription for 144 condoms for $3! Clinics will frequently offer teens a field of condoms 100% free. Therefore no excuses! Otherwise, expect you’ll spend $12–$20 for the pack of twelve mail order wife through the online or supermarket.
Which condoms can I utilize?
The key, reputable brands are the ones offered by Family preparing clinics, pharmacies and supermarkets. Be sure any novelty, flavoured or coloured condoms do have the dates that are expiry them. Condoms marketed in brand New Zealand must conform to ISO 4074:2002(E) standard.
Does size matter?
Yes, condom sizes do matter! Ensure you or your partner make use of a condom of this right size. Condoms are more inclined to break if they’re too tight. The girth (thickness/width) associated with the penis might be much more important than penis length. Take to a selection of condom sizes (such as for example Trim, Standard, Large/XL and Superking/XXL) to get which fits you most readily useful, or measure around your penis that is erect using strip of paper to obtain the proper diameter of condom for you personally.
Do you know the benefits of condoms?
- Condoms lower the threat of undesired maternity.
- Condoms lessen the potential for catching an STI.
- Condoms can easily be bought.
- Condoms are incredibly low priced if acquired through the Family preparing hospital.
- Condoms are really easy to make use of.
- There are lots of brands that are different decide to try different styles until such time you find one which you prefer.
- Condoms haven’t any unwanted effects.
- Condoms help avoid cancer tumors of this cervix (the opening to your womb).
Which are the cons?
- Intercourse may feel different—but that does not suggest it still does not feel great.
- Many people are reluctant to make use of them—you should really be reluctant to possess intercourse with those individuals!
- Condoms may cause an disruption to love making—use your imagination and then make them the main enjoyable.
- Many people are allergic to rubber—speak up to medical expert at Family preparing should this be the truth.
SIMPLY THE INFORMATION is delivered to you because of the Sexually sent Infections Education Foundation (STIEF) – an effort funded by the Ministry of wellness through collective District Health Boards to teach New Zealanders about STIs.